[3830] CQWW SSB VK8PDX SOSB/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VK8PDX SOSB/20 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:21:30 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VK8PDX
Operator(s): VK8PDX
Station: VK8PDX

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: Alice Springs, NT
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:   36    16       18
   20:  344    28       75
   15:   22     9       17
   10:   14     6        6
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Icom IC706MKIIG
20m â?? 3 element full sized mono band yagi
40m/15m/10m â?? Butternut HF-9V vertical, ground mounted with 50 radials

My main focus was hunting for new countries. I only have a decent antenna for
20m which is the 3 element full sized mono-band yagi and for the other bands
itâ??s just a multi-band vertical with 50 radials.

I decided to go for the Single Op Single Band 20m category and also check out
10/15/40 for new countries. As I wasnâ??t looking for any great score, I could
â??waste timeâ?? by spending 10-20 minutes yelling my call sign at a station if
it meant getting a new DXCC entity or band country in the log. The rest of the
time I went up and down the bands searching and pouncing for DX stations Iâ??ve
never worked before.

I did have two moments of excitement when I beamed north on the Saturday at
0830-0930 and had a run on 20m to JA, I knew I should have been looking for new
countries on 40m but I got caught up on the thrill of being wanted in a pile up
â?? hi hi. I was very lucky on the Sunday night when I was able to beam short
path to Europe/Asia on the bottom edge of 20m around 14115 and ran from
1115-1315 UTC until I was muscled out. It was amazing I could last there for so
long.

Even with low power, an average location and modest antenna set up it was lots
of fun.