[3830] CQWW SSB HT2N(K9NW) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9nw@qth.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB HT2N(K9NW) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:43:57 -0700

Comments:

Radio:      Yaesu FT-950
Amp:        SB-220  ~1K
Antennas:
 10/15/20:  A3 Tribander @ 60'
       40:  2 el Quad NE and dipole @ 55'
       80:  dipole @ 55'
      160:  dipole @ 60'

Thanks to Octavio and Martha for hosting me this year!

I started out running low power.  After a couple hours and seeing low band
condx not so great Friday evening, it was quite apparent it was going to be a
long night if guys weren't hearing me.  So I decided to flip the power switch
on the amp to "ON" and start having fun again.

Fun rate times included the first time I hit the US band on 15m at 1700z
Saturday for a 350 hour.  At 2019z I found 10m to be open to the US.  Two hours
later 510 QSOs were in the log.  Saved the end of the contest for 20m and put
about 900 QSOs in the log from 2030z to the end with a short trip back to 15m.

It seems I mostly ignored 20m for much of the day on Saturday and the country
total shows that I missed some stuff there.  (But that 10m opening was sure
fun!)  The low bands were tough with thunderstorms nearby most of the weekend.
In fact I disconnected the antennas for a short time Friday night when the
lightning got close.  It was a little quieter on Saturday night with better
condx which allowed for filling in some missing QSOs/mults on 80 but 160 was
still pretty much lost, though I know I was being heard more than I was
hearing.  So it goes.  Nice JA run on 40 Sunday morning was blown away when the
Dragon showed up.

CQWW is the best!  So much activity from all parts of the world.  It's always
interesting reading post contest reports and seeing stations that made
thousands of QSOs, yet our paths never crossed - a true testament to the level
of worldwide interest in the contest.  Thanks for the QSOs!

See y'all from zone 38 for the CW event.

73, Mike K9NW (HT2N/YN2NW)