[3830] CQWW SSB VE3AAQ(VO1AU) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VO1AU@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE3AAQ(VO1AU) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:13:35 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE3AAQ
Operator(s): VO1AU
Station: VE3FU

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Kemptville ON
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2225    35      138
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I thank Chris VE3FU for the loan of his station and the encouragement and
support of his wife Debbie and my girlfriend, Melanie.

This was a first real test for Chris' stack of two TH6es and a smaller
tribander on another tower.  The combination of antennas was great, and
afforded me a great deal of flexibility.

I was expecting conditions to be quite poor.  I was very happily disappointed
by how good things were.  While the band (20m) was nearly dead after dark,
during the daylight and twilight hours, propagation was really quite good.  I
enjoyed good long runs into Europe.  I was most pleased by the good openings to
Asia both days.  I've never worked so many BYs in a contest before.  The absence
of activity from Africa was a real disappointment, and relatively easy-to-work
zones 36 and 37 are missing from my log.  I also missed 23, 26 and 31.  That
last one is a real embarrassment.

I had fun, I made a pretty good score.  This was a great weekend.