[3830] CQWW SSB VP2MDG M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@att.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VP2MDG M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 07:28:21 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP2MDG
Operator(s): AD4J, K2DM, K3ZM, W4GKA
Station: VP2MDG

Class: M/S HP
QTH: VP2M
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  101     9       18
   80:  403    15       54
   40:  704    25       90
   20:  732    25       87
   15: 2728    34      118
   10:  263    15       35
------------------------------

Club: FRC, FCG, SECC

Comments:

This year we improved the station by adding a 55-foot crankup tower with a TH6
on top.  The tower also allowed us to get our dipoles a little higher, and the
TH6 allowed us to use our CL-33 for the MULT station.  We noticed a significant
improvement in our signal.  The MULT station was much more effective on the high
bands.  As for the RUN station, well it looks like we got out pretty well on
15M, and we were able to capitalize on the short opening to Europe on 10M
Sunday.

We also improved the station by using my K3 as the RUN radio, relegating the
TS-570SG to the MULT station.  Both held up perfectly, but needless to say the
K3 helped us pull calls out of the mud much better than the '570 would have.

A personal triumph was QSYing to 160M at 0400Z Sunday morning, against K3ZM's
advice, because we were light on QSOs there.  Peter was concerned about
sacrificing multipliers on 80M, but happily, EI7M, S54E and RU3DX all called in
within 10 minutes for our ONLY European contacts on 160M.  Plus I worked that
powerhouse station from EPA, W3MF, so it was 30 minutes well spent.

Thanks to all for calling in and keeping us busy.  Peter, Glen, Jim and I had a
blast!  Montserrat is a great contest location.  Contact me if you would like
more information.  73, George K2DM / VP2MDG