[3830] SS CW K3TN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K3TN Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 03:25:06 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 16

------------
  160:
   80:  356
   40:  265
   20:  177
   15:    5
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

TS-850 to Windom at 45', ALS-600 amp

I operated straight through for the first 9 hours - it was 1am local before I
even noticed. I followed the traditional East Coast wisdom (TECW) of starting
by S&Ping on 20 and was hoping I'd find the VE8 early - I didn't even think of
looking on 15M. Operating unassisted really changes the Clean Sweep equation -
I got many of the hard ones out of the way early but never did find NWT. No new
coffee mug this year.

This was the first SS I've every operated with more than 100w. I found that
with 400W I could actually wedge myself into a frequency between other "real"
high power stations and do some running on 20 but following TECW I went to 40
at 2300 and for the next 8 hours would S&P 40 until I found a run frequency and
do that until the N1MM rate window drooped and went pale, then do the same on
80, repeat.

I knew the weather on Sunday was going to be too nice to cancel hiking plans
(70 degrees, not a cloud in the sky) so I got up at 1000, cleaned up the mess
the aging family dog now makes in the basement each night next to the operating
position, and got in 2 solid hours of TECW operating. 11 hours in and I had
about 600 Qs and 76 sections worked. I needed SB (must have been nice weather
there, too) and VE4/5/8.

I got back on at about 1900 for the usual Sunday slogging across 40 and 20. I
S&Ped on 15 a bit looking for new Qs and VE8, but I was in the contest for
points, and with a wire at 45' it made no sense to spend any time on 15. SO2R
has really changed SS Sunday. On 15 and 20 I'd hear the same 6-land calls on
both bands, with the same East Coast calls on both 40 and 20. Definitely makes
it harder to grab a run frequency: a few unanswered QRLs and I'd be just about
to joyfully hit F1 and whammo - the 20 over S9 SO2Rer would be back. SS was
definitely made for SO2R. Actually, operating packet would probably have helped
too - at least there would be another scrolling window to watch.

Pet Peeve:" - a pox on cut numbers in the CK field!