[3830] SS CW K7SS Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, desk@nwlink.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K7SS Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 09:08:44 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K7SS
Operator(s): K7SS
Station: K7SS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: wwa
Operating Time (hrs): 10

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

1959-2009 SWEEPSTAKES ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Congratulations to all CHECK 59 and older guys on 50+ years in Radio.

Decided to do this SS as a pure nostalgia event, as SS in 1959 was
my first contest.  Goal was to paper log, send with a Vibroplex Bug,
and run 5 watts.   Figured it might add up to an equalizer to my 75W
and wires and being crystal controlled in the novice bands back in the day.

Even had nostalgia cooperation from my TS930s cranked down to 5 watts output.
While slowly tuning the main tuning knob it would electronically drag or skip a
bit and cw signals were jumping all over the place, just like w/ my trusty
(crusty and rusty) old Halliscratcher S41G novice receiver back in the day.

1959 score was about 75 contacts....so that was the objective.
Well after the first hour it turned out to be so much fun, that I just kept
going...... off
and on during the event......

So all in all, a very enjoyable 10 hours of SS, and got hooked on trying for a
sweep late on Sunday afternoon. But it was not to be.... bug driven 5 watts
just doesnt seem to get the attention of those rare and elusive mults.

Got lots of laughter and comments, about my Lake Erie Swing.....which made it
all the more fun. Many Thursday night NS buddies were worked...and lots of old
familiar calls from over the SS years. Even got an email inquiry asking if  I
was "OK" after hearing my CW !  Good fun......

Got 49 states, missed DE (RIP W3PP).

Hopefully see you all next time and for some years to come..

73

Dan K7SS