[3830] SS CW WX3B(@W3LPL) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW WX3B(@W3LPL) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 09:48:50 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: W3LPL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Once again, a big thank you to Frank (W3LPL) and Phyllis Donovan for opening up
their home and spending their weekend catering to â??those guys in the
basementâ??!  I confess that this year, my original plans were less than
honorable from a PVRC team perspective.

I had secretly planned on a relaxing weekend, and enough radio to generate a
respectable scoreâ?¦.with time left over to sleep and enjoy outdoor
activities!
Due to an RFI problem that crept up before CQWW, I immediately asked Frank if I
could operate Sweepstakes CW at his house, knowing that would solve one problem
(a place to operate), however it put me back on the hook for a committed
effort.

I was VERY enthusiastic at the beginning of the contest, and that excitement
stayed with me until about 2:00am Sunday morning.

The WX3B â??sour attitude detectorâ?? must have sounded at that time, my rate
ground to a halt, I took a couple hours off for a nap, and found the bands much
better at 5:30am when I returnedâ?¦..and then things got REALLY slow.
Between the hours of 7:00am and about 1:00pm I suffered from a lack of
motivation (from very little sleep?)  I used the packet chat feature as a way
to let off some steam and talk with friends (N3KS, K3WI, K3MM come to mind).
It may sound strange, however I run assisted because of the entertainment
factor.  Oh yes, it did find Eric VY1EI early in the contest, but that was the
only multiplier I actually chased.

I had some great coaching and short motivational speeches during the contest.

I learned that it is possible to have a rate that exceeds 60/hour if you have
enough strong stations to pounce on.   There is a style and technique to
pouncing on packet spots, then quickly finding out if the person is CQing
(good) or working someone.  If they are at the beginning of the exchange,
pounce on someone else who isnâ??t!

It is also quite possible to run and pounce at the same time on the same band,
however I had a few frequency fights when I returned to run and someone noticed
I was â??vacantâ?? from my run frequency too long.
Another interesting discovery was why I really need to be careful about
answering callers with â??roughâ?? or slow CW during busy run times.

In the time it takes you to ask for repeats, or to listen to the entire
exchange, the rest of the world figures they have found a perfect run
frequency.   I had many folks start QRLing or CQing in the middle of these
protracted contacts!

I also learned that on 40 meters, pointing the â??lowâ?? antenna (low is a
relative term at W3LPL) north is a good strategy.  In the evening, however, it
backfires as it attracts an awful lot of attention outside of the USA.

Sweepstakes CW wouldnâ??t be complete without thanking Jerry, K6III from NCCC
for all of his spots.
This year, however, I believe Jerry has met his match â?? we have our own
cheerleader, and that is Mr. Bob Johnson, K3MQ!
There is a serious contest within this contest of seeing who can spot more
folks, and in the spirit of competition, I am proud to see K3MQ spotting
EVERYONE.

Congratulations to K3WI for a fantastic â??low dipolesâ?? score while running
the Ukraine contest and keeping me entertained at the same time, and to Kam,
N3KS for putting forth an outstanding full time effort.   I also heard KD4Dâ??s
number ahead of mine when I returned home last night â?? way to go Mark!
Jeff, N8II has the best price/performance figured out, he had a relaxing
weekend and somehow put about 1100 QSOs in his log in less than 20 hours.
Of course N4AF and K3MM both seem to have set the pace for what is possible in
this contest.

This operation was done with Barry, WR3Z on â??the other radiosâ?? at Frankâ??s
house this weekend.  Barry and I were neck and neck the entire weekend, each of
us swapping the â??hotâ?? band so that our combined effort was maximized for
PVRC.

Hey, did you take note of the propagation at 9:00pm Sunday night on 80?  KD4D
(at N3HBX/Poolesville â?? 50 miles away) and W3DF (15 miles away) were two
signals that were pinning the meter!  I sure hope we get this kind of short
skip early Saturday for the SSB contest.
The most interesting contact award goes to Rick, K6VVA/M.  I had a 7:00am QSOs
with K6VVAâ??s mobile station, and he was running 5 watts.  Way to go Rick!
Next stop:  Sweepstakes SSB, where I hope to work a LOT more stations.
W0YR (Mike) has been investing his heart and soul into bringing up a certain
super-station in the Leesburg, VA area, and I am pleased to announce my
intention on test driving this station in the sweepstakes SSB contest!
73,

Jim  WX3B