[3830] SS CW W3EF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W3EF Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:24:00 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W3EF
Operator(s): W3EF
Station: W3EF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 8
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    1
   80:   70
   40:  325
   20:   52
   15:    0
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Great fun, but limited time -- family obligations and the fact that I had gotten
back from a 3-week EU and W1 trip the night before.

A solid first 2 hours, with 100 Qs and 45 mults.  Then it was bits and pieces
whenever I could, faster at some times, slower at others.  Left on Sunday
morning for some family events with 6.5 hours, 340 Qs and 77 sections in the
log.  ND and VE4 were by no means certain but I figured WTX was likely before
the end.  I was hoping to work the final 4 hours of the contest but as it
turned out I could only get back on at 01:10Z.

I point the 40m beam to ND/MB and start calling on 7039 while tuning 20 and
then 80 on the second radio.  Sure enough, N0UD calls in at 01:44.  78.

I am figuring a constant S&P on the other radio should land me WTX, but after
90 minutes, with 19 to go, still no joy.  Then N5DO calls in on 7062, loud and
clear off the side of the beam.  79.

It's well known the VE4s are not big cw contesters and only get on to help the
rest of us out, tuning across the band rather than CQing, so I know the S&P
effort isn't going to get me anywhere.  I haven't been on very much on this
contest, so won't be begging for Qs on my CQ frequency; I concentrate almost
all my effort on the run and it starts to really heat up (14 stations in the
final 10 minutes).  I give up on getting VE4.

And at 02:52, faint but clear: VE4YU.

Clean sweep with 8 minutes to go!

What a thrill.  The only time I had more fun in SS was one year on SSB, when I
worked a W3 in EPA and said "Now I'm going to tell you something probably
nobody has ever said to you before."  "What's that?" he said.  "Thanks for the
sweep!" I replied.

See you in the CW contests...

73 de Maury W3EF
Silver Spring, MD and Lausanne, HB9