[3830] WAE RTTY N2WN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY N2WN Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 05:54:43 -0800
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Grainger County
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   10   10          28
   40:   86   86    60    93
   20:   86   86   190    82
   15:   64   64    10    56
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  246  246   260   259  Total Score = 131,054

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I had only intended to make a quick hundred QSOs, no QTCs, just play... Boy did
I get sucked in ;o) This was my very first WAE RTTY contest.

Keeping this in mind, how hard could it be to just hand out a few QSOs? All
went well until the QTC queries started, which was not good as I had not read
the rules, nor the N1MM WAE RTTY info, and didn't have it in the shack. S53M
was the first person I attempted to send QTCs to, and he was very patient, but
couldn't figure out how to get from receive QTC to transmit QTC. It was
amazingly simple, but took me a little time to figure it out, when I did I
tuned back down to S53M's run frequency and made a successful QTC exchange.
Many thanks S53M!

I also didn't realize I could also receive QTCs. This was actually pretty fun,
most of the time. When stuff dropped out, and you lost your place, getting it
all straightened out was a chore. I managed to freeze one exchange and had to
terminate the QTC until I figured out what I goofed on. Sorry 'bout that...

Conditions were fun overall, 15 was really good Saturday morning, even 40 was
nice with a JA QSO (can be a struggle here due to antenna orientation). Tried
to stay away from the QSO party frequencies as there were several CW contests
going too.

Some of the signals were absolutely monstrous and narrowed my filters down as
low as possible most of the time. Think there were a lot of folks just jumping
in and out for a few contacts, or maybe even their first RTTY contest. Some
exchanges were a bit long with the wrong stuff repeated and/or mixed sequence.

Really need to build a script library for RTTY contests. I don't type fast
enough and sometimes I get frustrated at myself when I can't make timely
revisions or friendly replies.

I had fun and think I'll give it more time next year. It's probably one of the
most interesting RTTY contests I've worked.

Thanks all for the patience and QSOs/QTCs.

73,
Julius
n2wn

Elecraft K3/100