[3830] SS SSB K4XU Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4xu@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K4XU Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:23:26 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K4XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 16:49

------------
  160:    3
   80:   85
   40:  117
   20:   97
   15:   49
   10:
------------

Club: CODXC

Comments:

I am not a phone op but I got this new DVK in the K3 and I wanted to play some
more with N1MM. I was still cleaning up the yard when it started at 2100 and
did not get the snowblower moved from the barn to the garage until almost 2330.
Now we can have winter!

I quickly programmed four message memories and was ready, but since I just
wanted to fool around a bit, I decided at the last minute to go QRP. If 'YAQ
does it, then it must be fun. The K3 is dialed back to 5.0W and we're off.

Started on 15m. The second QSO was with VE8EV, followed shortly by VE4EAR, KL7
KP4 and KH6. Wow! This is pretty cool ...maybe I can make 100 Q's. I'm
searching and pouncing all over. The rate is terrible as I wade patiently
through several pileups for ND and DE. Later on when 40m opened, it went long
early and I was getting hammered by W6 and W7 competition going east. I tried
80m and started to fill in the nearby stuff, all of W6 and most of W7 were in
the log by 0600 except for WWA and OR. Went to 160m just to see what's up there
and ran into NK7U and K7SS rag chewing. Two more mults in the bag. Gee, I'm up
to 60 mults already with only 90 q's in the log.
The rest of the evening was spent looking for easy contacts - nothing less than
S9+20. Got some sleep at 1100z with 173 in the log.
Back up at 1530, 20m is hopping and so is 15m. S&P for mults and find a couple
of goodies- VO1HE, the rest of the W1's and W2's.... things are looking good
for a sweep - nothing but easy ones left - KY MS SNJ WPA VE6 and SC to go. At
1900 I reluctantly take a break for the Museum where I play docent on most
Sundays. Since I wasn't planning to do SS phone, I did not find a replacement.
So in the middle of best propagation time, I left the chair but dashed back and
was on again by 2300. Oh, it snowed last night and there's 4" on the ground.

Now I am madly searching for the missing mults as 15 then 20m close up. By the
time I got to 40m it was starting to go long. Found VE6EX, and then the others
except WPA. The whole last two hours are spent looking for a WPA but to no
avail. Rats. My first outing on QRP and I miss an "easy mult"! Where's K3LR
when you need him? Oh well....

Thanks to many stations for their patience in digging me out of the soup, and
to all for the contacts.    This was fun.

73,
K4XU in Orygun.