[3830] SS SSB K3TN SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K3TN SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 03:31:33 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: mdc
Operating Time (hrs): 13

------------
  160:
   80:  244
   40:  304
   20:   88
   15:   36
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

TS-850 to Windom at 45', ALS-600 500w

Phone Sweepstakes is to CW SS as mountain bike racing is to road bike racing:
mostly identical activity using similar equipment but at the end of the former
you end up a lot more sore and muddy than you do after the latter.

Just a part time Points for PVRC (PfP) in the club battle effort. Went to bed
on Saturday night at 0400z needing all the hard VEs and a bunch of easy ones. I
got back on at 1000z to put in a few hours of running on 80. This was my first
use of packet spotting in SS - I had a decent rate but in the spot window saw
VO1HP (a section I needed) put out TX3A (a country I need) on 3524 saying
"Loud!" but I stuck to my guns and kept running. Right before shutting down for
the morning I trolled the bands and managed to poach VO1KVT from someone's run
frequency - thanks for the QSY, Ken!

Managed to close out the sweep with VE8EV and several KL7s on 15m when I got
back on in the early afternoon, after that it was all PfP operating as time
permitted, mostly trying to run on 40 and 80. You sure can see a lot more CKs
beginning with zero in the SSB SS - no-code definitely caused an influx.

A lot of bad .wav files in use out there. Several QSOs were like working
talking elevators. Mea culpa: since I didn't have the .wav files working in
N1MM and never hit F1, *and* had "Spot all S&P QSOs on," I was one of the lids
putting out spots on my run frequency til I figured it out. I also spent the
first day hitting enter twice to log QSOs before I figured out having ESM on
made no sense if I wasn't using .wav files.