[3830] SS SSB W4XDX(@K4VV) Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W4XDX(@K4VV) Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:04:27 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4XDX
Operator(s): W0YR, K3WI
Station: K4VV

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:  302
   40:  574
   20:  573
   15:   55
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Jim Nitzberg here, WX3B reporting for the W4DXD team at K4VV!

Bill, K3WI led the operational effort on K4VV's second operating position using
Mike, W0YR's club call sign W4XDX.

Bill had an outstanding performance during the contest, especially when you
consider he was often on the second hottest band, and in some cases the 3rd
hottest band.

In addition, Bill received praise for being the ONLY operator of the team to
actually stay IN the chair for 12 hours in a row - that's what I call sticking
to the program!

Mike, W0YR and PVRC Member Norm, AI2C were instrumental in rigging up K4VV to
have the 3 parallel operations in Sweepstakes SSB.

Norm Styer, AI2C has also spent a lot of time at K4VV, lending his expert
diagnostic skills to the rotating towers.

We had a crazy problem with the Super Bertha rotation system which would work
for about 3 minutes each morning and then, stop for the day.

Norm painstakingly diagnosed the problem and, thanks to his knowledge of DC
motors, found that the Baldor motor on the Super Bertha had one brush retainer
spring installed incorrectly (at the factory!).

Norm cleaned up the carbon mess and reassembled the motor correctly and, it
works!

Norm is a retired Col. from the Army Signal Corp (as is K4VV) and an avid DXer
and Contester.

He is now diagnosing the problem with the prop-pitch system on Tower 4, the 40m
tower with the 4/4 K3LR OWA Yagis on the 48 foot booms.  Once that tower is
working, K4VV will be LOUD everywhere on 40!

Norm - welcome to team K4VV and thank you very much for your enthusiasm and
diagnostic skills - we look forward to operating with you!

73,

Jim Nitzberg   WX3B for team K4VV