[3830] SS SSB WA7NWL Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB WA7NWL Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:14:20 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WA7NWL
Operator(s): WA7NWL
Station: WA7NWL

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 13

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  42
   20:   9
   15:  40
   10:
------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

A LONG time since my last SS entry.  I've operated QRP off-and-on over the
years, and decided to try SS QRP this year, knowing it would be a bit of work
with a low dipole (especially on SSB).

Several observations from the 'cap gun' perspective.  First and foremost - many
thanks and gratitude to those stations who patiently worked through the contact
with my tiny signal.  Second - and this in not new information, but - if you
are going to run QRP, optimize whatever antenna you can - if it's a dipole get
it up as high as you can.  Next - if a station came back with my complete call
the Q was 'easy' from both ends; if they came back with either the prefix or
the suffix, it was a little bit of a chore, but not too many repeats; if they
came back with only one or two letters from my call it was a lot of work (agian
thank you) - there were only two Q's that were mutually discontinued).  Lastly,
you can have a GREAT time with just a 'little station' at the QRP level,
regardless of the final score.

The antenna was really basic - a 20M dipole at 18 feet, with a pair of 16-foot
clip-on extensions for 40M - that actually loaded on 15M (never had that work
well before).  Interestingly, 40M and 15M were better for me than 20M.

I sensed it would be a LOT of work when I was on my Q #10 and I heard Gary,
N7IR, at his #41.

73,

John, WA7NWL