[3830] CQWW CW K5KG Multi-Op Xtreme HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5kg@arrl.net, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K5KG Multi-Op Xtreme HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:10:44 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG, K1CC, K8NZ
Station: K5KG

Class: Multi-Op Xtreme HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   42    14       29
   80:  144    18       67
   40:  965    35      129
   20: 1025    36      130
   15:  236    30       95
   10:   63    12       25
------------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

This operation may go down in history as the world's smallest Multi-Multi.
After much deliberation about how 3 ops can muster the best score and have the
most fun with a single transmitter and limited antennas, we decided to go
multi-multi.  Admittedly, we largely decided to do this to avoid the 10-minute
rule!

The three ops, K1CC, K8NZ and K5KG were successful in keeping the seat occupied
for the full 48 hours.

Here was the layout: Icom 756ProIII, Acom 2000A, C31@60', 2el 40@75', 80m inv
vee, 160m inv L, K9AY loop, KD9SV preamp, Microham CW Keyer, Win-Test 4.1, and
one XP computer with dual monitors.  All the gear and the software performed
without a hitch.

Overall, condx seemed to be pretty good.  We had no noise to speak of, largely
due to a cold snap in the wx.  The high bands were poor during the daylight
hours on Saturday; we thought there might have been a flare.  By Saturday
afternoon and evening, however, things picked up, and we had excellent runs on
20 and 40.  On Sunday, we cooked along with good rates throughout the day.  The
low bands were a struggle due to our limited antennas.  I don't remember the
band or the DX station we were calling, but I do remember the thrill of beating
K3LR in that pile up!

A good time was had by all.

73, George, K5KG