[3830] CQWW CW K1LT SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K1LT SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:19:41 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: Carroll, Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:  216    19       64
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I started the 2009 CQ WW CW contest with the goal of exceeding last
year's single op single band 160 assisted score while operating
unassisted.  However, parenting workload (single parent of a 5 year
old, now) and sleep management problems conspired to rob me of the
will to keep going in the middle of the night.

The first night beat 2008 by about 35% more QSOs (didn't calculate
points or compare multipliers).  I was able to sleep for 2 1/2 hours
and get up for the sunrise JAs.  Conditions were good but not
outstanding.

The second night seemed to be quieter in that signals were fewer and
weaker.  The low rate made motivation low and just after midnight I
was too sleepy and disorganized to keep operating.  I went to bed and
slept through sunrise, mostly to arise on time to get the child ready
for Sunday school.  Although the QSO count was still about 30% ahead
of last year, the multiplier count was down by 10.

The third night (last 2 hours of the contest) provided a few more QSOs
and two surprise multipliers, PZ5X and IS9Z.  Again, activity seemed
lower than last year.

So, the station worked great, the phased array heard remarkably better
than the beverages, but the operator is in need of a drastic overhaul,
or at least some parenting relief.

See you all in the ARRL 160.

Equipment: IC765, ETO-91B (loaner from K8ND, thanks Jeff!), 65 foot
"T" with 75 radials, 13 Beverages, 4 element broadside array of 2
element end-fire arrays steerable via software radio (see Dec. 2009
QEX), and tired old man.