[3830] CQWW CW VE6TN SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE6TN SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:52:22 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6TN
Operator(s): VE6TN
Station: VE6TN

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:   26     4        3
   80:   39     7        5
   40:  101    19       33
   20:  380    32       74
   15:   97    19       46
   10:   12     7        8
------------------------------

Club: Alberta Clippers

Comments:

The story about this contest is that it almost didn't happen for me.  The
subplots involve:

1. No SO2R.  The HF-6V Vertical tested out fine with the analyzer but doesn't
support any power.  I discovered this too late to fix it, thus it was only a
receive antenna with less noise than my shunt loaded tower for 160/80m.

2.  Late start.  I only have an IC-7000 and wanted a big rig for this contest
so I packed it away the morning of and went and picked up a Kenwood 950 SDX
from my friend Tony VE6YP.  To make a long story short, all of my Kenwood
interface paraphanalia are at my cottage with my other radio, so I didn't have
anything to hook it up to the PC.  2nd, the PC started to crash on me.  3rd I
couldn't find any of my 3 keyers in my recently re-organized garage storage.
So I decided to hook up my IC7000.  Unfortunately, it seems to have not
receive.  The very act of disconnecting it and putting it off to the side seems
to have resurrected Murphy in all of his little mischievious ways.  So then I
had to dig out my 706MKII-G and get it set up.  All this and I am now 1 1/2
hours past the start of the contest before I log my first QSO.  My personal
mental state was not very good.

3.  Tony comes over and brings a rig interface and keyer for me so I could use
the 950SDX.  THANKS TONY!

So now we are 4 hours into the contest and the bands are basically shutting
down.  I am really just getting going.  Maybe my life is just too complicated?

The bands were not very good.  I never had a good chance for a run into Europe
either of the days.

Wow, we did have some great openings into Africa.  Besides a bunch of great JA
South American DX stations calling me off the back of my antennna as I work US
I even had V51YJ call me over a din of US stations . . . . it's those gem
moments that make it all worthwhile.  Thanks for the call Andrew!

I was just running barefoot but had great success calling through pileups,
usually within a minute or so of calling.  Great ears to the TX3A, 9J3A, 6W1RY,
XU7ACY and 9V1YC.  James always seems to be able to pull me out of the pileup.
Thanks guys!

A25NW was just starting to call CQ when I ran across him with one of my band
sweeps.  I worked him first, first call off the side of my beam barefoot.
Another one of those "happy" moments that makes you warm and fuzzy.

I also was able to put my close friend Lorne Libin (XE1V) in the log.  Nice to
see young people still keeping active in contesting!

I am happy with my score.  I had intended to shoot for 1M but after the
problems and late start I was just hoping for 500 contacts and a good time.
Yup, I was successful.

Thanks to everyone who provided the points and the entertainment.  A special
thanks to my wife who supported me by letting me have the time for this venture
and even supplied with sandwiches and a smile.

Barry - VE6TN