[3830] CQWW CW KH7B(K4XS) SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KH7B(K4XS) SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:06:40 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KH7B
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KH7XS

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: BIG ISLAND (KH6)
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 2412    37      104
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Original plan was to go all band, but between still recovering from a full blown
effort in SS and getting sick, that plan was changed to 15 only.  What the heck,
with conditions the way they are it only mean a daylight contest...wrong.

15 was smoking at the beginning of the contest, but of course cooled off when
it got dark.  The big surprise was it marginally reopened (very light signals
until almost midnight) allowing me to work only one station from many EU
countries and lots of juicy double mults like 5H3EE.  Many of the EU boys could
have had a KH6 in the log for a double mult if they had only listened a bit
harder.  I called lots of them and no reply.  Tried to bust the ST2AR EU pileup
for zone 34 but couldn't make it through.  Never heard the two others I
missed...40 and one in AF.

No such luck the second night as the mainland boys died out early and not many
JAs were on.   Once it got dark the band closed and never reopened until the
next morning.

Highlight of the contest was working a 195 hour the first day and then working
a 210 hour the very next hour.  I've never even approached that number before
on CW.  No big deal for the top tier CW ops but it was for me.

A thoroughly enjoyable contest, and just about everyone acted like a gentleman.
 The quality of the signals was surprising.  It sounded like a lot of guys have
picked up used FT1000MKVs without the key click filter mod. A few of clicky
signals were as wide as 3-4 kHz.