[3830] CQWW CW VE4EAR SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE4EAR SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:46:15 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:   31     8        7
   80:   23     6        5
   40:   88    20       37
   20:  228    30       82
   15:   95    22       53
   10:   12     4        8
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Well just a part time effort from me. Too many family commitments that didn't
get taken care fof during sweepstakes last weekend.

160m was a surprise for me. Using a DX-A sloper, worked several new DXCC. It
was a good week since working TX3A on 160 Friday morning before the contest.
Noise floor was S3-5 so definitely I would see an improvement from a decent rx
antenna. Also limited to 200W Output top prvent tripping the smoke detector.

80m was just plain horrible. Noise was a constant S8 or higher and I couldn't
even get a zone 3 station until Sunday morning when I found VA7ST. Definitely
something wrong here as there a number of zones I can usually work but didn't.

40m was not in great shape from here. EU could be heard at the start of the
contest but not well. Best time was 22:30-23:30z. Likely missed some easy
zones. Didn't even waste time on some of the big pileups for the african
stations.

20m was so-so. Very weak EU openings both mornings. Shorter and weaker than I
have seen lately. EU opening late in the afternoon to LY and OH netted a number
of 3 pointers. My limited time cost me a few of the more common zones. Openings
to AS were limited to Zone 25. Managed a few Zone 32 but again that was it.
Huge pileups to the rare African stations. Couldn't break all the pileups but
did get 9L5A first call, not sure how. Unfortunately I suspect there was a
pirate on the band because as I after working him, I moved up the band and
heard a much stronger 9L5A S&Ping.

15m never opened to EU from here. Worked plenty of of SA and Zone 7-10
stations.
The station from Samoa was 10-20db over S9 Sunday afternoon and I couldn't
break the pileup. Another opportunity missed :(

10m had some life but mainly Zones 11, 12 and 13. Signals were very sporadic
with huge and rapid QSB shifts.

My hats off to those CW operators that can run pileups for hours, picking
individual calls out of the roar, truly an enviable skill.

See you all in the next one!

Ed

VE4EAR