[3830] CQWW CW W5RU(@KN5O) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kn5o@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W5RU(@KN5O) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:52:56 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W5RU
Operator(s): KN5O K1DW W5XU W5FKX N5UK
Station: KN5O

Class: M/S HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 42.85

  160:   23    10       13
   80:  124    19       63
   40:  466    36      123
   20:  583    35      130
   15:  230    30       90
   10:   48    11       16
------------------------------

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Le bon temps roule!!!

This was our second year into CQWW contesting from South Louisiana.  Dallas,
K1DW and I started it off Friday evening, only to immediately discover that
N1MM was not showing Mults or Qâ??s on 40M and 20M.  We basically lost the
first hour troubleshooting, only to have to uninstall and re-install N1MM,
v.9.11.0 (and I had just used it a week ago with out problems).

So while I was doing that, K1DW operated on the second station (FT1000MP/ALPHA
99) and forgo using the 756PROIII with which he was familiar.  We mostly
S&Pâ??d, as our geographical location and CW listening skills are challenged at
best.

On Saturday Dave, W5XU came over from Baton Rouge and operated for about 6
hours.  It was his first time here using the station and software.  About noon,
Don, W5FKX joined us from New Orleans and relieved Dave.  It was also Donâ??s
first time here using the station and N1MM.  It appears he too had fun.  On
Sunday, I was joined by Dr. Gil, N5UK from Kiln, MS.  It was also his first
time here as well and I think he really got hooked into contesting.  I was
really hoping that Jan, W5EV would join us if he was feeling well enough.  Jan
is a crack CW op (55-60WPM), but unfortunately he is still dealing with the
effects of his chemo treatments.  We missed him, but continue to wish him
well.

Our goal was to go the entire 48 hours and make 2000 Qâ??s.  We almost made the
time, but fell far short on the Qâ??s.  There were plenty of stations to work,
but I just ran out of steam on Sunday morning with no relief Op.  So our score
speaks for itself â?? better than last year as KN5O, but still a very long way
to go and lots of room for improvement (a new shack and antennas are planned
for next year specifically set up for contesting.)

Band conditions were decent for us.  Noise levels on 80M and 160M were great
compared to last year.  My quickly built inverted-L with 3 raised radials did
not perform well at all.

It was good to see 15M open to our area, but 10M conditions were again
disappointing - actually lousy.  Because of the poor propagation, we could not
hear many of the 10M stations spotted by the US stations up north.

Speaking for the W5RU team (K1DW, W5XU, W5FKX, N5UK, KN5O), thanks to all for
the Qâ??s and best wishes for the Holiday season..

73 de Ted, KN5O