[3830] CQWW CW K7GK(@K7ZSD) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K7GK(@K7ZSD) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:47:37 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K7GK
Operator(s): K7GK
Station: K7ZSD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   76    16       24
   80:  166    27       45
   40:  825    33       95
   20:  798    37       93
   15:  148    25       47
   10:   36     9       13
------------------------------
Total: 2049   147       13  Total Score = 2,511,168

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

The goal this year was to concentrate on rate and I think it worked out rather
well. The QSO totals this year were over 2000, compared to just over 1700 last
year, and it felt like a big step. A slightly higher multiplier totals this
year translated this into the score increase from about 2M to roughly 2.5M. Not
bad, considering the overall propagation did not seem to be that much better.
Yes, higher bands did show improvement, but 80M seemed down quite a bit,
especially into EU short path. 80M Long path was there both days, but worked
only about 10 stations, roughly half each morning, and only into UA and UR.
160M was better to EU with 15 stations worked, but overall about flat. 40M was
great, especially long path into EU both mornings. I even managed to run a
little into EU over the short path, which previously thought to be forbidden
from the West Coast. 20M was showing the signs of life into EU, which was a
huge disappointment last year, but there is definitely room for improvement.
15M was just a touch better and 10M was actually there. In addition to the 40M
runs, the highlights included working several double mults. 3 of them called me
when I least expected it â?? SU9HP on 40 over the long path, 4L8A in the middle
of his night on 20 and SM2CEW on 15 (who knew that you actually can work EU on
15 these days?), the 4th was RU1A when they moved for me to 15 in the middle of
their night. It was also a thrill to work my childhood friend operating as C91LW
for a double mult. The low point had to do with equipment, my own equipment that
is and therefore foreign to Bradâ??s wonderful station. The station, by the way,
performed flawlessly yet again. This time I tried to use a flash-based
mini-computer running DOS and TRLog to do the logging and even though it
started out great it repeatedly froze up several hours into the contest.
Fortunately, I was prepared for this and the time lost was only about 30
minutes. I moved the log to an old laptop that ran TR for the rest of the
contest. Well, as far as the choice of the logging program is concerned, I
guess itâ??s back to the drawing board. As always, many thanks to Brad and Ruth
for feeding my addiction.