[3830] CQWW CW 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:35:10 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): W2SC
Station: 8P5A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Barbados
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R

  160:  448    16       57
   80:  701    23       76
   40: 1756    30      102
   20: 2081    28       94
   15: 1552    28       91
   10:  146    11       15
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

As is my Thanksgiving routine, I took a 5+ hour flight the day of the contest
from New York City to arrive at the station at 20Z to test all the equipment.
The good news is that we ran to get just minutes ahead of a 747 full of
passengers on another flight.  Otherwise we would have spent another hour in
immigration.  It seems like these flights arrive later each year.  Despite the
lack of rest and preparation, still operated the full 48 with just a 10 minute
nap.

This year I had the pleasure of W3ZZ as an observer.  It is a brute force means
of enforcing compliance, but I am totally supportive of the objective.  Official
observers are welcome at my operations at any time.  Gene spent the weekend
listening on headphones under a tarp canopy just outside of the shack, since
there would barely be room for the two of us inside.  Gene was also nice
enought to drive my wife and son to the airport at 5AM on Sunday morning.

Overall, 15 and 10 seemed marginally better than last year, but all the other
bands were worse, especially 80.  Got off to a very poor first hour and spent
the whole weekend trying to catch up to last year's score.  It seemed I matched
every hour but could barely close the gap.  Afer a slow Sunday afternoon, I
finally pulled ahead in the final hour.  Ended up with a score just barely
ahead of last year.

The highlight of the weekend was having EY8MM call in on 160.  When the contest
is over, it is not the high rates I remember(I think I had the "last 100" over
280) but the cool mults that call in.

My first CW contest with a pair of K3's, and they did not disappoint.  The rest
of the station performed flawlessly all weekend as well.

Congratulations to CR3E and EF8M for their fine scores and special mention for
Andy, V47NT.  I remain in awe of the scores he reports from the Caribbean.
While I arrived at my station with limited rest, and operated like a lid at
times, I do not see how even my best effort could yield another 500+ Q's.
Simply an outstanding job.

Once again, thanks to all for the Q's and the moves.  Also thanks to my wife
Kathleen, whose support makes this all possible.

QSL via NN1N and LOTW

73, Tom W2SC 8P5A