[3830] CQWW CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ad5q@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:28:18 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas
Operating Time (hrs): 43
Radios: SO2R

  160:   44    14       24
   80:  255    25       69
   40:  629    33      102
   20:  840    35      113
   15:  223    27       74
   10:   51    11       14
------------------------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Low bands seemed off this year, but not bad. Last year they were excellent for a
solar bottom, with EU runs on 40 both nights. This time they were sparse. On the
2nd night the JA run started late, but the band was also open to Asiatic Russia
so I did the whole run with the beam on Mongolia and got more polar stuff in
the mix with the JA's. Not much EU in the log on 160.

The daylight propagation started off with the usual high rates into Europe on
20, and an opening on 15 of uncertain duration. With the urgent need to work
the available mults on 15 while rates were peaking 200+ on 20, I tried running
on 15 only briefly, and was not successful. I got the 20M frequency back and
pounced for the 15M mults during my long run. JA's ran OK on 15. 10 was better
than last year, but no EU or JA.

The contest had a sour ending. I shut down and pulled the coax and rotor cables
due to a nearby thunderstorm at 2100z on Sunday and lost 45 minutes, then
returned to a noisy band. I wasn't fully back up to speed until the last hour.
Thus, I fell short of all the scoring goals I expected to achieve by contest
end. My claimed score is 40k under last year - close.

Jay and Sharon were amicable hosts - as always.

I love this contest.

Roy -- AD5Q

Drugs: Diet Mountain Dew