[3830] ARRL 160 N3RD M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3rd@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N3RD M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 06:10:09 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N3RD
Operator(s): N3RD
Station: N3RD

Class: M/S HP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs): 13

Total:  QSOs = 1117  Sections = 78  Countries = 40  Total Score = 300,074

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I have been threatening for many years to put an antenna up for 160.  This year
I finally did just that.  After debating inverted vee vs inverted L, I decided
on the inverted L, which has 95 feet vertical and the rest horizontal.  There
are 30 radials of various lengths laid on the ground.

This time of year, the area where the radials are laid is very soggy.  Attempts
to trench in the radials failed due to clogging of the small trenching machine.
I have to decide whether to just leave the radials on the ground, or trench them
in during the dry months of July/August.

The results have been encouraging.  The noise level here is reasonably low on
the inv-L, and I had no problems copying very weak stations calling in.  I plan
to add some RX antennas in due course.

In this contest, I used the cluster to alert me to DX pileups, so that I could
assess the effectiveness of the antenna.  It works!  Missed KP4 and NWT for a
sweep.  Had 5 KH6s call in.  Nice!  Saturday night was down as far as DX
callers, compared to Friday night.

73 - Dave N3RD