[3830] ARRL 160 WM5R Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wm5r@wm5r.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WM5R Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:14:51 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: WM5R
Operator(s): WM5R
Station: WM5R

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 2

Total:  QSOs = 4  Sections = 4  Countries = 0  Total Score = 32

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I don't normally play around in CW contests, but for some reason the ARRL 160
Meter Contest has always appealed to me.  Maybe it's because of the generally
slower code speeds or the very simple exchange.  Of course, I don't have an
antenna for the 160 meter band at home, so I used what I had - a Cushcraft R-8
vertical.  I could hear a lot more stations than could hear me.  The SWR on my
transmissions was around 10:1.  I managed to QSO one station on Saturday night
(STX) and three stations on Sunday night (CO, AR, AL).  Most of the stations I
heard were in W4, W5, W0, and W9, but I copied one VE3 and a handful of W6/W7
stations.  By far the loudest station that could not hear me was W5ZN, whose
signal was S9+10 on my vertical dummy load, second only to K5NA.  Despite
looking and looking, I never heard NR5M on the band - his transmit antennas
have directivity and I was probably in a null or something.