[3830] ARRL 160 K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tree@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:23:21 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K7RAT
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: N6TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 35
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 1485  Sections = 78  Countries = 30  Total Score = 353,160

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Missed VE8 and NL.

Rigs: K3 and old Drake T-4XB/R-4C - pair of 3-500Zs (Viewstar PT2500A).
Ants: Phased verticals, 1/4 wave spacing, north-south.  A few beverages and a
coax loop for the R4C.

One of the more interesting things learned is that K7RAT generates less than
half of the dupes that N6TR had last year.

I filled up a bowl with 100 M&Ms before the contest and gave myself one for
every "second radio" QSO I made.  The bowl was empty around 0900Z the first
night.  Using a coax loop about 300 meters away from the TX antenna allowed the
R4C to hear really well, even a few kHz away from my TX signal.  This stopped
working in the middle of the second night however due to very strong winds that
broke something loose.

The JAs were few and far between the first night.  Second night wasn't much
better, until the last hour of the contest, when I worked 16 of them!!

Mults heard and not worked = VO1 and EI.  Mults that heard me and I didn't work
= F.  Sorry Mau.

This effort was dedicated to the memory of my good friend Ken Adams, K5KA.  He
was looking over my shoulder and kept me in the chair.  Whenever I worked an
Oklahoma station, I took a moment to remember him.

73 Tree N6TR