[3830] ARRL 160 N9NC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9nc-yccc@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N9NC Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 11:57:10 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N9NC
Operator(s): N9NC
Station: N9NC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 22.9

Total:  QSOs = 1050  Sections = 75  Countries = 41  Total Score = 290,928

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Yet another part time effort that became a full remaining time effort as the
event progressed.

Still gaining experience with what works from this QTH:

The antenna was an inverted L, 40â?? vertical, ~90 feet horizontal.  About 25
radials, used for TX and RX because it seemed quiet.  However I found that
using a couple of low Vee beams for RX dramatically improved the SNR on most
weak signals.    Before much more snow falls and CQ 160 I intend to add some
more and better RX antennas,  add radials to the inverted L, and improve its
tuning unit.

I was pleased with 75 sections operating unassisted â?? missed VE4, VE5, VE8,
KL7, and somehow, SDG.  Heard VE4 and 5 but wasnâ??t able to entice them to
call me, perhaps spending too much time high in the band.  This was not purely
by choice (see next).

A few hours into the first night, I realized the inv L resonance was about
1850, with too much reflected power low in the band.   So on Saturday, I
correctly estimated that I could move to 1820 if I removed about 16 inches of
wire from the vertical section.   For a short while, this worked great.  Yes I
should have sorted this ahead of time, but this was originally a part time
effort.

Saturday evening,  snow began to fall in our first material storm of the
season.   CQing at around 1806, with a reasonable rate, I noticed the reflected
power slowly rising with time.  After a couple of hours, SWR was approaching
2:1, with measured resonance down to 1760!   I suspected the snow had changed
things.   Made a trip to the feed point about 1am, cleared the 3 inch deep snow
from around the area, and shook the heavy wet snow off the wire.   Things
improved but resonance was still below 1800.   So, I reversed the earlier fix,
taking about 18 inches out of the radiator.    Now things were good right
around 1820.   It was pretty busy on the low end, but I found a spot in the
high 30â??s that was fairly productive, including some Europeans.    But then,
with time, I again saw reflected power rising and now resonance was moving UP.
This is harder to explain, but I suspect the wet snow on the support rope was
enough to lengthen the antenna while it was there - when it stopped falling and
with some help from light winds, and maybe the rope drying out a bit, the
antenna resonance ended up where it started before all the adjustments.
Plans to fix this include:  a more substantial and longer end insulator on the
horizontal section, some kind of snow roof around the feed point (because just
clearing the immediate 2â?? area there had a noticeable effect), and perhaps a
remote tuner to adjust things from the shack.    OK, this may be interpreted as
an excuse â??however I hope informative for anyone contemplating this kind of
antenna.

Likes:

Conditions to Europe â?? both nights were good, and as others have said, better
the second night.  Logged over 130 5 pt QSOs, 90% called me.

Being called by at least 3 KH6 stations, and having multiple rare sections call
me (EWA, WY, UT, ID, NE, ND, NNY, LAX, and PR).

Generally good behavior on a crowded band â?? spacing seemed to be 300 Hz on
average with little trouble.

Dislikes:

People who do not make sure you have their call correct.   There will be a
handful on NIL from such who never responded to my repeated queries.  Iâ??m not
sure whether they were careless or not really hearing me that well.
     This does not include the Europeans,  who were very good about not sending
a report until they were sure I had their call correct.

Stations who blatantly attempt to steal your freq after a single ? and less
than 1 second pause, and only 100 Hz above or below you.
     I withstood maybe 4 such attempts, the most egregious being an N4 who went
on for over 15 minutes, eventually giving up when he realized I was working EU
through his CQs.

Overall a good time â?? with its mix of sections and DX,  ARRL 160 is a fun
mini replay of SS and CQ WW in one weekend.

Tom   N9NC