[3830] ARRL 10 N1CC M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N1CC M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:03:40 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 8

   CW:  151    22
  SSB:  173    26
-------------------
Total:  324    48  Total Score = 45,600

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

The conditions for most of the time period were not good.  Given that Friday
night and Saturday yielded only 7 contacts, 5 in Texas and 2 in Arizona I did
not have much hope for Sunday.  The propagation did improve, mostly sporadic-e
and still required some "ESP" to work many stations.

The folks in South Texas apparently did not suffer the almost total blackout
experienced in North Texas and I think much of the central states.

At 1645Z signals began to pop out of the nothingness.  S&P was doing OK ...
with sporadic open periods producing 23 QSOs up to 1906.  After a short break,
I decided to "RUN" on CW, planted on 28.004 ... from 1929 until 2158 with 100W
and a vertical I was able to make 127 QSO's ... 63 the first hour.  With the
gradual slowdown I moved to SSB, and after a few minutes of S&P moved on to
28.394 and ran SSB.  From 2206 to 2218 i made 18 SSB contacts, a W8 stole the
frequency away, and I moved to 28.389 at 2224 and ran there until 2356 making a
combined run of 160 contacts in about 1.5 hours... a rate of over 100 QPH.  In
such poor conditions and low power, not too shabby.  Of 324 QSO 307 were made
while running.  The Vertical does work.  Oh, for the few Texas contacts they
could not hear me on the vertical and I had to fall back to the dipole to get
them.

I heard three other stations in North Texas, worked one of them ... the others
could not hear me.  For the close in contacts on a band acting like a VHF band
you need power and a beam to pull them off.

Here's hoping for sunspots for Christmas, so that 10 Meters can wake up once
again.

Multipliers CW:
CT   MA   NY   FL   TN   NM   TX   CA   AZ   UT   MI   OH   WV   IL   IN   WI
CO   IA   MN   MO   SD   ON

Multipliers PHONE:
MD   PA   FL   KY   VA   NM   TX   CA   AZ   NV   UT   WY   MI   OH   WV   IL
IN   WI   CO   IA   KS   MN   MO   NE   SD   ON