[3830] TBDC K9YC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9yc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC K9YC Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:48:40 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Santa Cruz, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 392  Total Score = 2,398

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

392 QSOs, N1MM says 2,398 points. That's 62 more Qs than last
year and 700 more points (all without power multipliers for the
stations worked, which are added during log checking). Ran full
power.

Started with an hour Saturday morning (43 Qs, 6 JA, 2 HI, AK), went
back to bed and slept til noon. Back on around 4 pm, with breaks for
dinner and a midnight cup of tea. Put in the full 14 hours, running out
of time at 6:07 am. Last QSO was JT1CO. I had tried to work him at
the beginning of the contest, but far too many callers. At the end,
N9ADG was running about 100 Hz away from him. He wasn't going to move
until I explained that I needed the new country. then he did!  Many
thanks.

Worked 31 JA, 5 VK, 2 ZL, 3 UA0, KV4, KP4, P4, VO1. CE/K7CA was
LOUD, but always a pileup that I couldn't crack without wasting a lot
of time, and I already have a confirmation from him.  Heard a half
dozen EU briefly around their sunrise, but couldn't even get a QRZ?

One disturbing thing -- the Stew Perry rules forbid use of the cluster,
but it was obvious that many were using it. After the contest, I took a
quick look though VE7CC and found many spots from big time
contesters who apparently didn't read the rules. If the log checkers study
cluster spots, there are going to be a lot of check logs!

The Locust was going strong loading up a broadcast tower down the
coast from me and seemed to be making hay. He was still at it when I
went to bed. Can't wait for the report.

73,

Jim K9YC