[3830] TBDC N3BB Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3bb@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N3BB Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 17:14:13 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 3.0

Total:  QSOs = 89  Total Score = 705

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I'm the ninety pound weakling on one-sixty but found conditions good, with
several EU stations actually fairly strong in Central Texas. Always interesting
on this band. Worked only S&P with both tuning and packet spots.

Worked, for me, a good list including UA2, E7, OM, KL7, F, OZ, PA, 403, 6Y,
RA3, YL, OK, SM, HA, EI, GM, KP2, KH6, and JA.

Some stations stood out for good strength, including (mostly from memory)
UA2FF, E77DX, RL3A, and JR7VHZ. Also OM5ZW and YL2VW. It's amazing the
difference in receiving capability on the other end, whether it's ambient
quietness or lack or same, or great receiving antennas, or both. Some could get
it immediately, some with difficulty, some apparently never.

I have two beverages, both 600 feet long. They run down a steep hillside and
terminate near a creek at the bottom of the hill. One is generally NE and the
other NW. Sometimes I feel they work well, other times hardly at all. Last
night, the NE beverage seemed effective.

The grid square concept, with points being distance based, is a fair way to
level the playing field. The exchange made for some angonizing repeats. But
lots of fun, and lots of terrific operators. The term "ESP" must have been
invented to describe some of the contacts on top band.

Tnx to the BARC for supporting this operating event. Lots of fun.

Jim N3BB