[3830] RTTY Roundup NK7U M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup NK7U M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:20:34 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): NK7U, K7ZO
Station: NK7U

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 19

------------
   80:  209
   40:  265
   20:  464
   15:  242
   10:
------------
Total: 1180  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 43  Total Score = 118,000

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

First ever semi  serious RTTY effort from NK7U!  Joe and I played a bit in NAQP
RTTY last February, making less than 200 Q's -- so this effort moved us way
beyond that. We didn't quite get in all 24 hours but had enough to get a taste
for the mode and hopefully set a new Oregon Multi-op record. KK7PR at K7ZS is
pretty close and it could be decided in log checking.  Congrats to N6WM at N6RO
for a huge score.

We got off to a shaky start as, after a typo in rushing to get ready, I
programmed two different calls into our CQ message. Most operators seemed to
have a mental Super Check Partial and figured out the right call from the two
choices. Took me 20 or so QSO's to notice what was going on. Sorry to those I
totally confused.

15M was nicely open at the start of the contest for a treat. Managed one EU
contact when OH8KTN called in mid afternoon. No JA's but we may have missed an
opening at the contest end when we had gone QRT. 15M was also open Sunday late
morning stateside but pretty well closed by our lunch time.

20M was the money band and was jammed packed. We had nice opening's to JA on
Saturday night and to Europe on Sunday morning. We both were amazed at how the
software could decode a signal out of the mess. And we were using standard
Rttyrite in WriteLog.

40M was interesting as EU was booming in a couple hours before sunset on
Saturday and we worked some good mults. Not sure what we could have done if we
tried running as we were on 20M at the time and things seemed to good to switch
bands.  Such is the choice for the M/S category in this contest. It is
interesting when the multi-op category is more constrained than the single-op.

80M was a surprise for us in how well we did. We even managed one EU contact,
working G6PZ.

When all was said and done we had WAS though missed several Provinces.  We had
three hours over 80 QSO's and got the last 10 rate meter over 100 several times
which seemed like pretty good rate for RTTY.

Thanks everyone for the QSO's. We will be back.

Scott/K7ZO