[3830] RTTY Roundup ND2T(@W6YX) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, berson@anagram.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup ND2T(@W6YX) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:54:06 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: ND2T
Operator(s): N6DE ND2T W6NEV KZ2V
Station: W6YX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
   80:  174
   40:  406
   20:  719
   15:  206
   10:
------------
Total: 1505  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 52  Total Score = 167,055

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

ND2T and W6YX were two simultaneous M/2 operations from the Stanford Radio Club
shack. Each operation had one run station and one spotting station. We shared
the antenna resources and the creature comforts of the shack. Both stations
limited transmit power under 800W.

Both stations had huge gains in mults this year over last. This wasn't due to
band conditions, activity, or luck. It was due to a mult focus by the operators
of both stations, the great work of our spotters, and smart sharing of bands.
Both stations swapped bands every 20 minutes during the critical EU opening on
Sunday morning. The ND2T station came away with 111 mults (v. 79 last year),
and the W6YX station had 110 (v. 98). As a result, both stations easily beat
their scores from the previous year.

There is a serious lack of calibration standards in the RTTY frequency world.
We appreciate everyone who spotted us, and many spotted us spot on. But we were
as often spotted ~2 kHz off frequency â?? sometimes 2 KHz high and sometimes 2
KHz low. We are fairly certain nobody does this on purpose. Itâ??s a standards
thing. RTTY contesting will be improved when we can all get one way.

There was a surprising 40m EU opening at ~0000 (1600 local). W6NEV spotted
several CQing Europeans. N6DE was skeptical that those stations would be able
to hear us, but sure enough, they usually heard us on the first call.

We took our off time in one chunk, from 06z-12z. N6DE returned at that early
hour and found a new mult (NB) with his first Q on 80m. We didnâ??t work our
final state (ND) until the 17z hour.

With 90 minutes left to go in the contest the NA rate on 20m dropped for us. So
ND2T went searching, first over the Pacific for JAs and others, and then down to
40m for a strong finish.

Thanks for the Qs to all who entered the contest. It was great to work so many
new-to-RTTY calls. Come back again! Thanks to our spotters and operators.
Thanks to N6DE for the use of his K3. Thanks to ND2T for coordinating this
highly successful effort from the W6YX station. Thanks to N6DE and ND2T for
setup and knockdown. Thanks also to K6TT for the sandwiches and N6CCH for the
pizza.

Other scores in the M/S HP category appear to also be way up this year. We
salute everyone who chooses to enter this sociable but challenging
band-change-limited category.