[3830] NAQP SSB KT8K Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB KT8K Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 08:06:15 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN82cg Ann Arbor, MI
Operating Time (hrs): 9:42

  160:    6     4
   80:   67    31
   40:   51    23
   20:   26    13
   15:   21     7
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  171    78  Total Score = 13,338

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: MRRC/NCC #1

Comments:

Wow ... that was tough.  Had to switch computers (including installing N1MM)
just to get going, so I lost the first half hour.  At first it sounded like not
many people came out for this one, but then I realized it was spotty propagation
combined with the high noise levels.  Horrible, chattering noises, crawling
spurs and comb patterns across the scope, different on every band (except 160
which has it's own, normal horrible noise) made the going very tough.  I tried
running quite a few times but only had one good run of about 12 Qs in 12
minutes mid-afternoon on 40m - the rest were wastes of time.  I stopped when I
hit the same number of Qs as last Saturday - it only took me 3:10 then, though.
 Still beats a day in the office, though, by far.

Crowding was most noticeable on 20m, perhaps from the loss of frequencies due
to the Haitian relief effort, and on 160m later.  It was great to get some
serious production out of 15m, too.  Multi-vee has lots its 80m, apparently, so
I was using the 550' horizontal loop for that.  Thanks to all who listened hard
for my 5w and wires - I did get some very nice comments on my signal, too.
C U all in the next one!  73 de kt8k - Tim