[3830] NCCC Sprint W5ZL QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, garys@austin.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint W5ZL QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:50:22 -0800
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - January 22

Call: W5ZL
Operator(s): W5ZL
Station: W5ZL

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 0.4

  160:
   80:   3      2
   40:  17     13
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  20     15  Total Score = 300

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I totally forgot about the NS tonight. The problem is I am out of town many more
Thursday nights than I'm in, plus I'm old, so I can be forgiven. So I wander
down to the shack around 8:30 local, stick the 40 meter band board in my little
Altoids QRP radio (ATS3B) and start listening toward the low end of 40 to see
what DX I might be able to hear.

HOLD IT, this is Thursday night! There's a bloody Sprint on! It would take way
too long to recable, hook up my Winkey to the Pro II, and fire up N1MM. I
wonder if I can work anybody in the Sprint with my itty bitty Altoids radio?

Turns out there are either a lot of folks out there with good ears or they just
like flogging themselves with chains. I must have been pee weak outside my own
neighborhood. After getting started six minutes late I finished with a MASSIVE
20 Q's when the clock struck 9. What a hoot!

Not exactly planned, and almost certainly the first NS entry using a
pocket-sized radio, but I promise to never do it again.

Radio: ATS3B (also called the "AT Sprint", and now I know why)
Antenna: W9INN dipole with center at 50'
Logging software: none, CW keying through ATS3B's internal keyer and Begali
paddle