[3830] CQ160 CW VE7UF Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VE7UF Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:31:44 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE7UF
Operator(s): VE7UF
Station: VE7UF

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: IOTA NA36
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 638  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 27  Total Score = 268,716

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

I enjoyed this contest as usual.  Still using the same 90 degree inverted vee
antenna at 125 feet.  Did not spend much effort working EU mults the first
night hoping for less competition the second night.  From other comments I have
read that was a mistake.  I only worked 6 EU stations, 3 the first night.
Otherwise the conditions were about the same as last year except much weaker to
EU.  Also very few JAs worked.  There is a beacon station for the local airport
about 1/2 km from my staion transmiting on 400 KHz and just before the CQWW CW
contest it started causing interference to 160M and 80M.  I will be dealing
with this issue. It probably have lots to due with my new 170 ft tower being
closer to the beacon station than my other towers, but it does not have a 160M
antenna on it yet.  The 80M full sloper antenna on the new tower made a good
beverage rx antenna for 160M except it had more interference from the beacon
station so I had to do lots of rx antenna switching.  I broke the station 160M
Q and points record by the third hour of the second night and gave up on this
contest shortly after.  I will be working on better antennas for this band
during this summer.  Thanks go to all that called.

Duane VE7UF