[3830] CQ160 CW K8BL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8BL@AMERITECH.NET
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K8BL Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:29:48 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K8BL
Operator(s): K8BL
Station: K8BL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OHIO
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 717  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 40  Total Score = 186,004

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Had a great time with the new IC-7700! Was hearing stations much better than
ever before. Took a while to get things set up with it they way I liked for
contesting versus just plain DX'ing.  For instance, you can't have the
filtering
set for 400Hz and a narrow APF since so many people answer CQ's off frequency
and you just don't hear them. I went back to the stock 500 Hz filter and APF
set to the middle of the three choices. The receiver is so hot that I had to
back off the RF Gain to 3/4 and no preamp. I could cozy up to the loudest of
stations and still copy weak stations with little effort.
Contestwise, I managed to work WAS with KL7 finally snagged at 0800Z on the
second night. Several new DXCC entities were worked. The Bazooka Fed Inv L
worked like gangbusters again this year with a number of pileups broken
against
stiff competition. It's 25M vertical and 15M horizontal made of RG-58C and
four
radials, a long ground rod and my rear neighbor's chainlink fence.
DX conditions were well above average and noise was not too bad. Like most of
the other posters, I'd really like to get a better receive antenna situation.