[3830] CQ160 CW N4KG Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@AOL.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N4KG Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:38:21 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG +PACKET
Station: N4KG

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 440  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 61  Total Score = 210,394

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

As a Multiplier Junkie, I was glad to see the addition of the Single Operator
Assisted Category.  The earlier starting time was a nice change as well.

I started by doing S&P for Domestic stations.  Europeans were heard (weakly for
the most part) from my Sunset through European Sunrise, both nights.  They were
often found under or near Big Domestic Signals, usually not on the East Coast.
Signals from EU improved through the evening but were never really strong and
often difficult to work from Alabama.  Working Europeans through other
Europeans was especially 'difficult'.  I was surprised and dismayed to not hear
LZ9W, even after checking multiple spots.  Similarly, it was frustrating to have
YT0A and YT5W CQ in my face even though they were quite readable here.  The Best
Signals from Europe occurred between 0500 and 0800Z Sunday, as the Sun rose
across the continent.  I picked up 27 10-point contacts and 7 multipliers in
those finals hours.

After the first night, I found myself still missing SC LA OK NV ND SD VE4 VE9.
After hearing an OK station near the bottom the the band, I moved up a few KHz
and started CQing.  Sure enough, W5TM soon called me from OK followed by W5WMU
from LA a while later.  I was hoping VE4EAR and KD4POJ in ND would drop in but
no such luck. N7QQ in NV was found while doing another scan of the band.
Finally, KD4POJ was spotted high in the Band with several 'motivated' callers.
Later a Western Station spotted N0SXX in SD.  Obviously he was stronger there
than in ALA but contact was made for the Last State.  KH6ZM and KH6/N6RZ were
worked.  They were not strong.  One was on 1830 under a Nasty Broadcast
Harmonic or Birdie.  Word to the Wise: Avoid using frequencies that are a
multiple of 10 KHz to avoid BC birdies in the USA.  KL7RA had a good signal
into ALA.

Note to VE9DX: It was Extremely Difficult to copy your Barefoot Signal on
1857.3 due to the Sidebands from a USA ham-radio AM Broadcaster on 1860 KHz.

N4KG QSO Statistics

Con.  QSO  DXCC

NA....344...12
SA......8....7  CX6VM was 579 but just 'disappeared' CE HC LU P4 PJ PY PY0F
EU.....79...37  Missed LY LZ SP YO YU Z3 - RU1A UU7J only Z16 stations worked
AF......5....3  CN CT3 EA8
AS......2....1  C4M  C4N - A7/M0FGA detectable but not readable
OC......2....1  KH6

Total 440...61

10 point QSO's 96
5  point QSO's 45
2  point QSO's 299

Highlight of the Contest:  Beating W8JI to SM2EKM - Clearly a case of Selective
Fading and being in the Right Place at the Right Time.  The more typical
situation came Monday night when W8JI gave the A7 a 579 report while I was
trying to decide if the scratching I was hearing in my headphones came from the
A7 or my imagination.  Back to the Reality of 160M DXing from Alabama!

Tom  N4KG