[3830] CQ160 CW W8JI Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W8JI Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 00:59:36 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W8JI
Operator(s): W8JI, K1TO, VE7ZO, K4BAI
Station: W8JI

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 40

Total:  QSOs = 1965  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 84  Total Score = 1,227,744

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Another fun and productive weekend at W8JI's!  Tom made lots of changes and
improvements since December, including N1MM software, a full lockout harness
for the K3 and (2) FT-1000 MP MkVs, a high dipole, improved audio and antenna
switching, Vibroplex paddles with Winkey, etc.

Having 2 stations available with the full lockout was very effective and we
added hundreds of QSOs using that method with relative ease.

The JA opening on Sunday AM was a highlight, with 45 entering the log.  We had
a total of 537 10-pointers in 28 Zones.

Best mults logged:  4Z, 6W, A7, EY, FK, HB0, PY0F, SU, UA9/0 in all 3 zones,
UN, VK (incl 2 VK6), ZL
Heard, but not worked:  EA9, ST, YV
Never heard:  4L, 8P, BY, C2, CX, DU, FO, HS, JD1, JT, LU, SV9, TA, VP8, XU

When the dust settled, we found ourselves one QSO short of the Multi-op record
set last year by W2GD.  Since we ended up ahead of them this year by ~10%, and
with virtually everyone reporting worse condx than last year, it seemed like a
solid effort.  The K1LZ score hit our radar screen on Sunday and kudos to them
for significantly raising the bar and seemingly participating in a different
contest.

With one key member of the team unable to attend, we weren't able to mix
Skimmer and cluster spots seamlessly, so we logged onto various nodes one at a
time and sporadically.  As a result, we may have let a few things fall through
the cracks.

Hail came down on Friday night, but we were fortunate to not have any
significant ice impact.  We hope that all who were in the path of that storm
fared OK.

Thanks to all who called in and see you in next year's 160 events!

73, Dan, K1TO, for team W8JI (W8JI, VE7ZO, K4BAI, K1TO)