[3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 12:05:38 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~13

Total:  QSOs = 865  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 37  Total Score = 210,312

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It never hurts to read the rules; the switch of the exchange to CQ zone was a
surprise, the start time change to 22Z was a much bigger one. After missing the
first 80 minutes, I knew a big score was not acheivable, then I had keying
problems too. Working EU around 24Z was really tough as apparently it was for
others as well. It was the same old story, EU running EU. I'm sure it got
easier
after 04Z or so. The good news was one new country who barely heard me, T70A at
0218Z which turned out to be my last QSO of the night.
The other non-ugly happenings were working a 78 hour at 20Z including a call
from OH1VR/VP9 at 2042Z over entirely daylight. Also, more amazingly V31YN
called at 1312Z a full 50 minutes after sunrise on a path that gets very weak
near sunrise on 75M. No EU was workable S&P before sunset Saturday, but my best
results of the test were S&P into EU 2230-2330Z. Best rate was a 121 hour the
00Z hour Saturday, my first hour on the air. I had good luck being called by
VE4EAR, 4U1WB(DC), and W0ZTL(ND). A few EU mults called in, but nothing really
rare. Thanks for all of the calls; activity stayed pretty good after sunrise
and again before sunset adding to the score. There were quite a few calls never
heard before on top band which is always nice.