[3830] CQ160 CW WI9WI Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WI9WI Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 15:17:13 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 654  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 31  Total Score = 155,408

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I have no 160 antenna at home here in Madison, so I have missed most of a good
160 season this winter. So, Friday afternoon I drove to the cabin in the aptly
named Winter, WI. Got there just after the contest started. It was 14 deg F
inside. After starting a fire in the wood burner, and starting the electric
heaters, I unpacked, walked the dog and ate a bit. When the temp got to 50 I
set up the station and started the contest about 0200Z. My score is almost a
carbon copy of last year. Same total mults, almost same number of QSOs, and a
score within about 0.5% of last year. I have a very quiet radio location there
and I felt it was definitely noisier this year than last. I did almost all my
receiving on my transmit antenna last year. This year I used the beverages and
loops a lot more. I could hear lots of Europeans on Friday night, but worked
only a few. Many CQd in my face. Saturday was better and I worked quite a few
more than on Friday. Had little success CQing for DX. Only PJ2T and NP2L
answered my CQs. All other DX was S&P. Last year I worked quite a bit of DX
CQing. I spent about 8 hrs each night. Finally worked a JA Sunday morning.
Several were quite strong, but most couldn't hear me. A couple got parts of my
call but gave up. Never heard VK or ZL which I almost always work in this one.

DX worked: NA: C6, KL7, KP2, V3, VP9, XE. SA: CE, HC, P4, PJ2. EU: CT, DL, E7,
EI, F, G, I, LA, LX, OK, OM, ON, SP, TF, UA2, UR. AF: CN, CT3, EA8. OC: KH6.
AS: JA.

DX heard and missed: HI, CU, EA, ER, GU, HA (many), HB, LY, LZ, OE (several),
OH, OH0, PA, S5 (many), SM (several), UA, YL, YO, YU (very many), HK, PY,
PY0F.

Missed MS for WAS. Had 47 states including KL7 and KH6 by early Saturday
morning. Picked up ND and SD early Saturday evening. I eard N4OGW and another
MS S&Ping but could never catch up to them.

All in all it was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the QS.

73

Jim