[3830] NA Sprint CW K3TN LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K3TN LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 03:52:11 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:  114    1:45
   40:  115    1:45
   20:   16      30
---------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

K3 to Windom at 45'

30 inches of snow that ended just before the Sprint paralyzed the DC area, with
more than 200,000 people (including my mother-in-law) without power. The power
blipped all day, causing hard resets on the PC but miraculously not a problem
during the Sprint.

20 was hopeless with my antenna, so I went to 40 about 20 minutes in. I'm
normally a 2 band change kinda op, but being squeezed on 40 between the deedle
deedles and the FOC contest for 2 hours was not an alluring prospect. So, I
dropped back to 20 for a quick check about 0100 and condx seemed to have
improved but not enough to spend much time there. When I went back to 40, it
seemed the RTTY guys had thinned out and there was more room to operate.

To Bob, N6TV: I actually did try out the VFO A/B style for the first time but
as one of the little guns, I spent a *lot* of time CQing, too - just not a lot
of time getting answers! I found that for me after a few minutes on each band,
VFO A and B both ended up being in the middle of the band anyway - I have to
learn how to make sure I alternate tuning up and tuning down once that happens.