[3830] NA Sprint CW KA3DRR LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ka3drr@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW KA3DRR LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 08:04:17 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: KA3DRR
Operator(s): KA3DRR
Station: KA3DRR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 2.0

   80:   0        0
   40:   0        0
   20:   7        2
---------------------
Total:   7     Mults = 3  Total Score = 21

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: Northern Calif Contest Club #4

Comments:

Winter is a challenge given location of my antenna system in addition to
propagation effects such as flares, time of day, signal reflection angles,
height of antenna over terrain, and geographical location. I'm beginning to
visualize RadioSport activity as moving fluid through a funnel as signal
strength is relative to movement albeit low power.

There are numerous factor(s) to consider however as a low power, low profile
operator using sub optimal antenna(s) competing against optimal system(s) at
100-watts or more leads to an alternative perspective on the game.

I'm learning that mass inside the funnel is the greatest at the beginning of an
event. Additionally, at the beginning of NA Sprint, calling CQ when the greatest
amount of mass has yet to move through the funnel, is a challenge.

It is not until the substrate of signals are removed for example high power,
optimal system through low power, optimal system will my chance of success
increase when calling CQ in relationship to time and movement. The same maybe
said when SP for example, I'm observing SP success as proportional to the
logged number that is, higher the number of station X, the better odds I have
of moving through his/her funnel.

On the other hand, I operated for the first time in many years, without the use
of any memory functions except for calling CQ. My technique needs improvement
and I won't move back to memory until mastering the manual use of my key. I
enjoy Sprint because the event really pushes everything from skill set to
station configuration.

73
Scot R. Morrison, KA3DRR

Yaesu FT-100 (55-watts), near ground mounted three band trapped vertical (8
quarter wavelength radials AWG#14 on 20m), feedline (50-feet RG58/U AWG#20),
antenna match (MFJ949E), and ACER Aspire 5532 1.6 GHz notebook running N1MM
Logger.