[3830] NA Sprint CW N5RZ HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb5aar@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW N5RZ HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 08:43:55 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: N5RZ
Operator(s): N5RZ
Station: N5RZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:  114    1:24
   40:  131    1:34
   20:   72    1:01
---------------------

Club:

Team: Dashers

Comments:

The key item in this post is the station call!!!  It is mine - for the first
time in 7 years!!  Moved into the house I have been building at the end of
January - yey!!!  Thanks to Geo K5TR for letting me op from his place since
2003 - I will miss operating from there, but will not miss the 5 hour drive
each way!!

Fished out the Butternut & some feedline, and put it up with 4 68' radials.
Tweaked the adjustments to get a good match on 80M & 40M, and about a 1.8:1 SWR
on 20M. Check.

Got the K3 up and running, and Alpha 87A (acquired from K5KA) going.  Check

Downloaded the latest version of N1MM and got the keying & radio control going,
memories programed (kinda)  -  Check

Ready set go.

20M was long, and got beat out a lot.  Also, lots of learning curve issues with
N1MM (been using TR-log since 1992).  Had my "Run" exchange programmed wrong
(didn't discover this till after the Sprint was over), so had to send it by
hand.  Was able to use the memory to send the S&P exchange.  Also, I learned
the hard way that if the QSO wasn't entered and the tuning knob was turned -
yikes - it went away!!!    Also, other issues in the heat of the moment, but
will take practice for this old dog to learn logging software.

Went to 40M at 0101Z.  As it turns out, the first hour was my worst rate.

Felt pretty loud on 40M, and milked it for all I could before going to 80M at
0235Z.  Didn't feel quite as loud, but had no choice but to slug it out till
the end.

One radio - 2 band changes.   The K3 is an awesome radio - and the 87A worked
flawlessly.

Hourly rates:  71/88/80/78    Worked all mults heard.

Can't wait to get up some real antennas!!

Thanks to all for the QSO's and for your patience with me when I'd get tangled
up with the software.

RIP my dear friend Ken  - K5KA

73,  Gator