[3830] NA Sprint CW K7SS QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, desk@nwlink.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K7SS QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:56:25 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K7SS
Operator(s): K7SS
Station: K7SS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: wa
Operating Time (hrs): 3.75

   80:   32
   40:   81
   20:   63
---------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Team:

Comments:

Everything pretty good in first hour... 60 Qs in the log on 20m. GREAT START for
5 Watts.

40 was jammed - no room at all to mine the edges of the band.  FOC boys on low
end and RTTY on high end...  the usual procedure here for QRP entry, is to work
the very far edges, and get the occasional answer to a CQ...since calling only
works if NO one else is calling....but no where to go on 40 except into the
mosh pit in the middle....w/ very limited success. I think I had THREE (count
em) couplets (in the whole sprint!) after working someone...and two were from
across town.. (tnx K7WA and W7OM)

FLASH: Switched to 80 with a bit over an hour to go, and SWR on my sloper was
infinite!!  NO!!! .. frantic BY fire drill followed for about 15 minutes,
including finally turning everything off and leaving the shack... but..  turned
back for one more try and found a sweet spot on the 160 tuner to tune the sloper
into some sort of resonance, w/ about 3:1 SWR. This, after coaxes changed, etc.
etc..  DEFINITE QCAO MOMENT !  Hobbled to the finish line with many repeats to
any W6 who took the time to try and pull me out of the noise. Most Qs on 80 had
repeated NR NR NR? tries...and
even a 50 year contesting pal, asking me for NAME? NAME ? AGN NAME?  hahaha
Sorry for any caused headaches guys. (ps: the real skill in QRP operations is
the receive QRO station being able to hear the info and complete the Q). Must
have called W7RN 25 times in the last hour, and never had a clean shot, always
others calling. so no NV this time.  never heard W6NF.

MULTS were scarce. Best snag was VX6FOC who took the time to give me his name,

and the highest number in my log.... "VX6FOC 953 BILL AB" ....tnx Bill.

Starting on 20 w/ QRP and having really good rate, usually is enough impetus to
coast home w/ a decent score...but that last hour on 80 was just about the
limit. (.....until the next one !)

Good overall fun in the best contest of them all.

Hope to see many of you NA sprinters in the THURSDAY NITE PRACTICES from NCCC.
30 minutes, once a week, and a guaranteed fun time!!!

73
K7SS
DanWa

PRO2/5W