[3830] NA Sprint CW K5ZD HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5zd@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K5ZD HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:40:34 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K5ZD
Operator(s): K5ZD
Station: K5ZD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: W1
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:  113
   40:  149
   20:   82
---------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team: YCCC

Comments:

Did better than I would have expected.

Arrived home from a business trip 1 hour before the contest.  Laid down on the
couch and almost decided to skip the contest.

Sat down at the station 5 mins before the start.  Got radios and amps on, but
20/40 meter beam was stuck Northeast.  Spent first 5 mins of the contest trying
to get it to turn.  Finally to the West.

20 was awful at the start, but came back in the second 30 minutes.  40 was
good, but I wasn't in the mood to push the second radio.

My daughter came into the shack about 90 minutes in.  Asked her if she wanted
me to read her a story and put her to bed.  She said, "No, Mom is going to do
it."  That allowed me to keep going.  :)

After 3 hours, decided I might as well go to the end. Things got slow at the
end.  Couldn't get many answers to CQs so kept having to tune and work weak W6
stations.

Happy to work all multipliers that I heard. Got lucky with N8NA, KO7X, and
W1WBB.  Missed some easy ones like AR, LA, and KY.

The K3 continues to impress me with its receiver.  For many years I would tune
away from a QSO and know that the guy I just worked was more than a KHz away
when I couldn't hear him any more.  The K3 has a very slow tuning rate and
steep filters, so I noticed several times that I may not have moved the full 1
KHz.  Started watching that more as the contest went along.

I have been operating this contest for 32 years. Always fun!

QSO/Sec+Dx by hour and band

 Hour      80M     40M     20M    Total     Cumm    OffTime

D1-0000Z  --+--   18/6    72/23   90/29     90/29
D1-0100Z    -     77/9    10/0    87/9     177/38
D1-0200Z  51/2    43/1      -     94/3     271/41
D1-0300Z  62/2    11/0      -     73/2     344/43

Total:   113/4   149/16   82/23