[3830] ARRLDX CW N6TR SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tree@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N6TR SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 07:55:54 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N6TR
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: N6TR

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:  159    51
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  159    51  Total Score = 24,327

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

What a surprise - conditions to Europe were good the first night with 17 put
into the log.  EVEN BIGGER SURPRISE - conditions were even better the second
night and I was able to run Europe for the first time ever in this contest
(more like crawling actually).  Finished with a total of 70 European QSOs to go
with my 50 JA QSOs.  Conditions were not so good to JA the first morning, but
better the second.

Used the trusty Drake line (T-4XB and R-4C) as my K3 was back at Elecraft
getting its beta test hardware upgraded to production.  The two element
vertical phased array continues to please.  Have 5 directions covered with
beverages (30, 70, 120, 250 and 300 degrees) all about 600 feet long.

Nice to hear some loud JA signals on 10 meters at the start of the contest.

During the second morning, I hooked up my SDR-IQ and CW Skimmer with the
decoding off the screen.  This is a very effective way to keep an eye on the
rest of the band while CQing.  You can even "read" code of most of the stations
by looking at the waterfall display.  This is considered "single-op" as it is
basically a panadapter with waterfall display (no CW decoding).  It is very
effective and is why I invested the $$$ into it.  I just used it in parallel
with the R4C - so it was only "listening" when I was not transmitting.  Still,
that is enough time to "see" what is going on elsewhere on the band.