[3830] ARRLDX CW KJ4HYG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kj4hyg@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KJ4HYG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:00:24 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KJ4HYG
Operator(s): KJ4HYG
Station: KJ4HYG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Marietta, GA
Operating Time (hrs): 3

  160:
   80:
   40:  16     11
   20:
   15:   8      7
   10:
-------------------
Total:  24     18  Total Score = 1,296

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first entry in the QRP category, and I must say it went fairly well.
While I didn't do extraordinary (at 8 Q's and hour, I actually did quite
terribly) I had a lot of fun.

I like to say that I learn something new from every contest. This one was no
different. I learned that QRP contesting is really hard when the antenna being
used is only 15 feet of the ground. Not to mention the fact that I was limited
to 40m and 15m.

The real practical thing that I learned was to not assume the band conditions.
I spent 2 hours on 15m on the assumption that 40m would be dead.... not true at
all. I probably let over 60 Q's slip through my fingers, which is rather
disappointing...

Hopefully on the next big contest I will have a tuner for the big antenna, and
I will be more smart in checking the conditions.

chris / kj4hyg