[3830] ARRLDX CW N4YDU SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4ydu@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N4YDU SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:24:10 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4YDU
Operator(s): N4YDU
Station: N4YDU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Youngsville, NC
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:   40    30
   80:  202    52
   40:  515    77
   20:  691    76
   15:  444    76
   10:   50    19
-------------------
Total: 1942   330  Total Score = 1,922,580

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

That was a thriller! It sure was nice to have 15 meters back! I felt like a
little kid at times because I was so excited! When I get excited while
operating I usually abandon the keyboard and start keying by hand (just fun for
some reason!) Needless to say my keying hand is shot right now!

40M was my biggest surprise. It wasn't too difficult to keep a small run going
on 40 and the S&P 160 and 80. I was just about to go to bed about 1:15 a.m.
local on the second night and decided to try to get a run going on 80...It
worked. It was my first-ever run to Europe on 80 from home. I think this is the
longest I've ever operated in this one (41 hours). This was the second best
score for me..just missed the 2002 score. Special thanks to my wife for helping
with food and being so understanding about this great hobby!

Band breakdown:

10M - good to hear some signlas for a change. Best DX was KH6 and ZS1.

15M - Almost back! I was hoping for longer good openings to Europe, but I'm not
complaining. It was really nice to hear so many JAs. The morning openings were
into deep Europe. I even worked a few UA0/UA9 stations Sunday morning.

20M - Bottomless pit of Europeans! Sweet! Things were beginning to slow down
with about six hours left and for grins I tried to run at 14.007...It paid off
and yielded 100 qsos during the hour.

40M - Big surprise to work so many stations...best DX was JT1CO.

80M - OK the first night but it seemed much better the second night.

160M - Things never got going to well there for me, but the second night was
much better with more mults. Best DX was TX4T.

Station:

Two Ten Tec Corsairs

Antennas:
160 - Inverted L with raised radials
80: 1/4 wave ground plane with raised radials
40: Dipole at 75 feet (fed with ladder line for all band use came in handy on
20M), plus inverted vee at 55 feet

10-15-20 - Two rectangle loops for each band (40-60 feet high)

RX antennas: 220 foot beverage and two pennants