[3830] ARRLDX CW P40LE(K2LE) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW P40LE(K2LE) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:25:42 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: P40LE
Operator(s): K2LE
Station: P40LE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: ARUBA
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:    0     0
   80:  102    38
   40:  221    40
   20:  324    49
   15:  290    50
   10:  330    47
-------------------
Total: 1267   224  Total Score = 851,428

Club: Order of Boiled Owls of New York

Comments:

Had only  a few hours during Sat.. nite and low bands were VERY noisy. Could not
run on 80 at all and on 40 EU stations were 20-30 db louder than W/VE..finally
got a small run after sunrise in Europe.
Was busy with family and grandkids all day Saturday . did not get on except a
few minutes here and there. They left to go home 5 AM local time Sunday morning
then I jumped into the fray..
Big news was 10 meters - was looking for early opening and got it - was able to
run hard for several hours with just 100W and a small vertical. It was the best
in years -300+ QSOs in less than 3 hours, then hit 15 hard after the Europeans
died off,;
Had only 10 QSOs on 20 m at 21:30 Z, 15 was still running but had to switch to
20 - ran till the bitter end - 300 + QSOs in 2 1/2 hours.

Most annoying was my laptop kept shutting down ( a heat related problem, it was
88 degs F and my operating position on the balcony gets hit by direct sunlight
in the lat afternoon ) EVERY HOUR OR SO. Propped it up for better air
circulation, which extended it to an hour a half. Restarting and reloading
everything takes about 5-8 minutes and your run frequency is history by then.
In desperation, I took a plastic bagful of ice cubes and placed it under the
laptop. That helped, but after a  while it shut down again... seems the ice
cubes had melted and the water leaked out - noticed dripping on my knees and
talk about a paddle in the puddle - almost funny...

Then Ii hit on the winning idea - found a dozen frozen English  muffins in the
fridge - set the computer on top of these and it kept me running for the last 3
hours of the contest. I will forward some snapshots in time -  I think the title
should be :
"G bagels rescue N1MM "