[3830] ARRLDX CW N3RS M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3rs@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N3RS M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:26:42 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N3RS
Operator(s): N3RD, N2SR, W8FJ, NG7M, W7CT, N3RS
Station: N3RS

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  133    59
   80:  910    83
   40: 1915   118
   20: 1869   119
   15: 1405   114
   10:   91    44
-------------------
Total: 6323   537  Total Score = 10,173,465

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Our team this year included two from out of state.  W7CT and NG7M from Utah did
the 20M effort.  Other bands were covered primarily by N3RD on 160M, N3RS on
80M, W8FJ on 40M, N3RD on 15M and N2SR on 10M.  Some limited time was spent by
each of us as relief operators while short necessary breaks were taken on the
various bands.  The conditions seemed quite good, although we had horrible line
noise on Friday evening into early Saturday morning.  Fortunately, the K3's have
excellent noise blankers, which worked well most of the time.  Signals became a
bit mushy, but were still copyable except when the noise hit a fever pitch.
Then, only the strong signals could be copied.  Recurring sporadic noise bursts
were experienced on Saturday and Sunday, but lasted only for a few minutes at a
time.  Our apologies to those we lost in the noise and to those we asked to
repeat their call or power more than once.

Modifications to the station included menu driven transmit antenna selection on
all bands and rotor control on 20M and the ability to transmit on both the main
3-stack and the 2-stack fixed south simultaneously on 15M.  Dave said it worked
well and he picked up a few multipliers as a result.  Everything worked well and
we had no failures.  It was gratifying to see the solar flux out of the 60's for
a change and pretty good propagation on 15M.  10M was still spotty, but much
improved over recent years.

My thanks to the team for an excellent effort and to my wife, Maryann, for the
food service and general support during this contest.  Until the noise is found
and remedied, there will not be another major effort from here in a multi-op
entry.  It isn't fair to the operators to have to suffer through such noise,
especially when it comes from the direction of europe, where we beam most of
the time.  Thanks to all who called in and gave us a QSO.

73's de Sig