[3830] ARRLDX CW KL2R(N1TX) SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KL2R(N1TX) SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:41:56 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KL2R
Operator(s): N1TX
Station: KL2R

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Fairbanks, AK
Operating Time (hrs): 16.25

  160:    1     1
   80:   19     8
   40:  119    40
   20:  755    58
   15:  612    55
   10:   12     6
-------------------
Total: 1518   168  Total Score = 764,568

Club:

Comments:

This was the first time ever KL2R had points on all bands.  Conditions were
unexpectedly good.

I was never able to hear a significant number of "workable" stations on Top
Band.  Propagation to the northwestern US seemed to peter out early in the
evening.  The brief, late morning/early afternoon openings on 10m gave some
real encouragement to seek out multipliers, although I had to do it quickly, or
overall rate would suffer.  On Sunday, 10m seemed to be ducting to the Caribbean
and South America with very few US and no Canadian stations heard at my QTH
during my band checks.

Alaska was well-represented, especially KL7RA, AL1G, KL8DX, and AL9A loud and
clear on most bands.  KL7RA and I had a funny, inadvertent duel of sorts on
Friday afternoon.  I was running about 130 per hour on 20m when KL7RA rolled in
about 100 Hz up from me, apparently unaware of the action I had going.
Suddenly, I realized stations weren't calling me, but KL7RA instead.  One CQ
from the power house of Kenai, and they took my frequency AND my pileup as
well!  As I told them by email, I was glad I could "chum the waters" for them.
All in good fun, and I had a really good laugh.